30 Nisan 2012 Pazartesi

Reflection Week I-1 By Dilek Turan Eroğlu

 Today was my first day with my class. I started the lesson with some ice breakers. The students wrote 4-5 questions and asked them to eachother moving around the class. Ice breakers are the best way to help the students to get to know each other, to break the ice on the awkward first day of school.

They were really curious about me and my style. To have them feel that I am approachable and lenient I wrote a kinda quotation on the board saying: "Your mistakes are welcomed. They are my syllabus about what to teach/ cover next". They might have felt more relieved to be involved in the activities as I had almost no student who was nonparticipant in the class activities.

My students worked with pairs and within groups and I told them I would change their pairs and group members everyweek so that they could work with different people every time talking about peer teaching a little bit. The pairs and groups will have been arranged by me by next week and they will have the list and know their next peers.Secondly, I do this for the sake of classroom management. Students tend to have social chats in their language when paired with the same people.

I have positive feelings about my new class and I hope it goes in the same fashion.

1 yorum:

  1. Dilekcim,

    The first impression of the target group on the teacher is of great importance to me, so I guess you are lucky that you have a group towards which you have positive feelings :) I liked the idea of writing "Mistakes are welcomed in the class" on the board. I am sure it will reduce students' stress about making mistakes.

    I hope you will have this motivation till the end of the term :)

    Good luck hun..

    YanıtlaSil