13 Kasım 2012 Salı


Kamile: Reflection (13.11.2012)

Today I had five hours with the same class. In the first hour I presented them the topic that ''American teenagers and work''. Also to make it more interesting for my students I wanted them to compare the conditions they have and American teenagers have. We disscussed this topic for minutes then I continued with the textbook. They completed sentences about the article they had read. This part of the lesson was quite successful because they were into the article. In the second hour as I announced their MMT results, we discussed about their marks and the questions in the exam. Of course it wasn't easy to attract their attention to the lesson again. Then, I went on with the book and they learned some new words. Actually, it's really difficult to make my students feel comportable with the english explanation because they always want to know the turkish meaning! They had a fill-in-the-blanks activity in a song. After they filled in the blanks with the given words we were supposed to check their answers but the song was a bit difficult for them so they couldn't fill lots of the spaces.However, it was fun for them to have such an activity. To my surprise one of my students who never participates into the lesson filled all of the spaces correctly when I gave them the chance to listen and complete the song. Then I provided them with two pictures and I asked for their predictions about the pictures.They had a listening avtivity and checked their predictions which were hilarious. Finally, I continued with a speaking activity in which they had some unreal situations to comment on by using this week's first grammar subject ''second conditional''. I'm content with this part of the lesson because it was a good practice for them to understand the second conditional. What I'm not happy with today's class is my students' reluctance in the last hour of the day.Even the most hardworking ones get tired and hungry in the fifth hour so it becomes much more difficult to continue because I have just few students who participate...

1 yorum:

  1. Hi Kamile! SOunds like it was a good class:) I liked that you used a variety of activities, like the song listening activity--adding variety can help Ss with different learning styles, such as

    I sympathize with your last-hour problem--even the most motivated, engaged Ss get unfocused after four hours of class. My approach to the fifth hour is I teach as long as possible (25-30 min) and then give Ss rest of the time to start homework or to play a group game. They know that if they get through the last 20 or so minutes of work, they get some downtime, so they try to stay focused and work hard even if they're tired. Just an idea:)
    Cheers,
    Cassie

    YanıtlaSil