6 Kasım 2012 Salı


November 5th Lesson Reflection


Although most people think that monday is the worst day of the week (you know monday syndrome), I just think the contrary. ı believe the students are ready more thatn ever for the lessons on the first day of the week. It is most probably because they study at the weekend or they have a chance to rest and refresh their minds. 
That's why, they were motivated and willing. Besides, they were  really creative and good at role play task including two students; one customer and one shop assistant.(asking for different sizes, colors and saying 'yes' or 'no' to the shop assisstant politely) I provided them with all the conditions in the classroom. (e.g I carried the hanger in front of the students as the scene is a clothes shop.) (I asked them first how do you give up buying an item and say 'no' in Turkish while they are shopping.) I forced the students to use the intonation after I modeled the dialogue first. They got prepared first on their seats and then came to the stage and acted it out without their notes. We had really fun as a whole class. I took notes of their mistakes and after each role play I made the class correct them. This reduced the mistakes during the next act outs. The problem is that it took more time than I thought; but I believe that it was really useful for the students. 
The next lesson was 'Favorite Places - (DVD part)'. I tried to make a smooth transition between the lessons by asking this question: "I know most of you enjoy shopping and spending money. What about the others? Is there anyone who saves money? (There are some.) I asked them what do you plan to do with that money? I wanted them to say something about visiting different places or travelling. Which places do you want to see in the world? Then I wrote their answers on the board. This was a good transition, in my opinion, to ask about the pictures on p.44. I continued with the exercises in the book. As it is DVD part, there was a reading information in BBC channel as usual. At the end of the lesson, I asked for their predictions about what BBC stands for. I elicited their answers and lastly announced the answer. It was good to keep them motivated.
The day went on with Unit 5; and I made the transition to the new unit (Food) asking 'Do you want to eat any special food when you go somewhere new?' 'What special food do you have in your hometowns?' 'What do you use while cooking it?  Tomatoes? Onions?' Then we started the exercies in the book.
When we talked about the fridges in the book, I wanted the students to make up stories (two-three sentences) asking why there is a hot dog, who might put the banana there and where is the birthday cake.
Everything seemed allright but there were two students who tended to sleep and not to participate in the lessons during the day. This is also because they are far ahead the other students. I don't know how to solve this problem. I wait for your comments and better suggestions :)
Sedef KONUK

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder