12 Kasım 2012 Pazartesi

Merve: Reflection #3 (12.11.2012)

Hi everyone, I haven't been able to blog for a few days, because there was a problem with my google account. I solved the problem finally, and now let me summarize what happened last week.
On Friday, after MMT; I recorded one of my classes and it was a different experience . Although I was the one who was supposed to be nervous, my students were really stressed out because of the recording. They were all quiet in every second of the lesson, which suprised me a lot. I tried hard to engage them and behave naturally. Nevertheless, everything went perfectly well according to my lesson plan. We had some technical problems with the overhead projectors, but we solved them quickly and quietly thanks to my nervous students! :) In addition, I promise you'll have lots of fun when you watch my recording : there was a big bee in our classroom and you will learn a lot about "bee management." After the recording, I asked my students to write a feedback about the class, and they all said they always liked the extra materials and visuals I used, but most of them didn't like the idea of recording. I am looking forward to your feedback on my video!

12.11.2012

On Monday I introduced a new grammar point: past simple. Before the class, I looked at the book and I didn't like the introduction in the book at all. So, I decided to adapt it for my class and prepared a powerpoint about my childhood. I used my childhood photos, my favorite drinks& snacks& cartoons& toys as a child and I provided sentences with was/ were with the pictures . My students were really into the subject from the very beginning. We had an enjoyable whole class discussion about our childhoods and it was very easy for them to get the meaning of was/were. Then I continued with the book and some extra worksheet as controlled practice. In my other class I introduced regular/irregular verbs using the text TimeTwins in the textbook. I provided them with a love story and it was a fill-in-the-blanks activity-as a controlled practice.Then they had question-answer session about the story. Finally, as free practice, I asked them to write their life story and when they finished we had peer-check.
Monday was productive and funny although we had too much grammar to deal with. Using visuals again saved  my day!

However, nowadays I face a classroom management problems. My students always ask for listening to music or watching a video in the last minutes of the class. Even if I had actitivites or tasks to do to fill time, they keep doing so. They say they are used to watch them in other classes, and they label me as a strict teacher. I am not happy being in this situation but I don't want to give up and let them watch videos.. How can I solve this issue?

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder