12 Kasım 2012 Pazartesi

Well, hello. Sorry for the delay :) Seeing all the stuff being said about the Monday Syndrome, I feel like I have to say something too. Well, I absolutely love Mondays! I know I moan a lot during the breaks, but I do miss my students over the weekend, and they miss me too, which is a good thing as it makes it easier to get their attention. Anyway...
Pro(s) of the day: I was teaching the past form of the verb "be" today, I didn't just want to go all "Well, here's the rule; singular subject + was, plural subject + were". So I just barged in, yelled "Oh my God! I saw all of you out last night! You were all at a bar at 7!" (We have a no-going-out-after-6 rule at class). They got all defensive trying to explain that they were home last night, using the present tense. A couple students seemed to know about the past tense, so I got them to talk first so that the rest could somehow learn the correct form. I asked them where they were the night before, and they answered (correctly) and I repeated their answers, stressing "was". I asked everyone where they were, after I made sure they could use "I was" properly, I asked their friends to tell me where their classmates were, changing the subjects thus changing the  auxiliary. Well, turns out they were all at home, so they had a good hard laugh, which was awesome. Aaaand, thanks to Merve I did a really fun activity. I had this powerpoint of my favourite childhood cartoons, candies, singers and such (most of my students are my age, so they knew all that stuff). We talked about all that stuff, I asked simple questions with was were, demanded to get full-sentence answers. It was really fun, a couple of them almost cried when the activity came to an end :) I was actually planning to do a "Life in the 1500s and now", but didn't think they'd like it all that much. Once again, thank you sooo much Merve.

Con(s) of the day: 4 hours of past tense is just boring no matter what you do. They started to drift off at some point, and the computer wasn't working that well either which just added to the boredom. The last hours are always a drag. Grammar exercises don't work, pair activities don't work, group activities don't work, games don't work (even coffee ticket games). Nothing works, they just want to get out as soon as they can so they won't have to wait in line to get food. Don't know how to deal with that really.

Gülcan

1 yorum:

  1. hahaha I love the idea of barging into the room and accusing them of going to bar, that's priceless, wish I could have seen it. Too bad it sounds like the rest of your lesson sucked;) j/k I wish I had such awesome ideas as you and Merve:)

    YanıtlaSil