6 Kasım 2012 Salı


Reflection of the classes on November 6th


Today I introduced a grammer topic (how to talk about present ability/past ability)  to both of my classes. To introduce the subject, ı created a context. I said a few sentences about what ı could do as a child and one sentence about what ı can do now so that they could see the difference. I wrote the sentences on the board. I asked them concept questions to make them discover for themselves how i use could and can. As they are already familiar with this subject, it went smoothly. Then ı asked them if they could tell me any other way to talk about ability. A few students told " able to". I wrote sentences with " be able to " too.(I am able to learn languages easily) First ı wrote them in present tense. I made sure that they knew how to change "be" again by asking questions like "Why did ı write "am" here? " "What if ı say instead of she instead of I?" .
Later ı asked them if ı could describe a past ability with "be able to". I elicited the answer from some of the students. I wrote an example with the past form of "be able to" and checked the understanding of the form too.

Then we did the practice part. Although most of the students answered the questions correctly, we had a confusion understanding the instructions. I give the instructions in English but ı think ı have to make shorter sentences. Or ı should have checked the understanding of the instructions.

1 yorum:

  1. Berrin,

    It sounds like your grammar went well! Well done! As for the English instructions, I am in the same boat! I realized that I hold my students up to a significantly higher level of understanding than most have. I have to constantly remind myself to slow down and make my directions more concise and to the point. Even though it is a little more difficult, I think it's good that you use English to give instructions. Even though they don't understand as easily, it'll help them more in the long run.

    YanıtlaSil