5 Kasım 2012 Pazartesi

November 5th Lesson Reflection

Today my classes went very well.  I don't know if it was the post-Bayram excitement or what, but last week my students were difficult to manage.  Today we started a unit on living a heathy lifestyle and I love the unit so far.  We started by playing a game in which all students stood and had to say a body part.  If they repeated another student or couldn't think of a body part, they had to sit down and were out of the game.  With 32 students we ranged from simple parts like "head" to the very specific, "thumb nail."  Afterwards, I taught them "Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes" which they thoroughly enjoyed.  It was a great introduction into the lesson and got them up and moving which is something I think is really important in the classroom.  The first 2 blocks of class went very well.  We had a reading lesson about things that are healthy and unhealthy and I used a technique called "popcorn reading" to ensure everyone read the text.  In popcorn reading, a student starts reading and when I clap my hands they choose another student to continue reading.  Because anyone could be called at any moment, it forces students to focus on the material and follow along (plus it is just a lot of fun).  The grammar section is where things got a little more tiring.  I find that when we have grammar units in the 3rd or 4th block of class, it is hard to make the students complete the activities.  Despite this, we completed the grammar rules (taking a little bit more time than I had anticipated) and used the conditional tense to discuss what could happen if you engage in certain habits.  The students enjoyed this because they love talking about themselves and their own lives.  Similarly, I enjoy hearing about their interests and habits, so it was a great discussion for the entire class.  Hopefully, by using the grammar to engage in conversations about themselves, the material will resonate a little more with them.
Overall, I think today went very well.  I had a little difficulty with students chatting and failing to complete activities, but for the most part they were very well-behaved.  I tried to keep my energy extra high today because they always respond better when I'm more animated.  I definitely think that is my strong point in the classroom.  I move around the whole room and interact with every single student.  I still think I need to slow down when I speak, and repeat directions very slowly and concisely.  I also feel a little boring when going over the answers to different activities in the book.  Can anybody give me some insight/advice for livening up the activity/checking answer portion of units?

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder